Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Lacking Consistency=Loss in Creative Edge

I've been doing a lot of research recently on photography in general and how to be a good photographer in the field that you chose.

One thing that I really struggle with is self-confidence. Time after time going through my research, I've found photographers explaining how important it is to keep a "healthy" but "strong" ego when trying to make it as a photographer. No one will believe your pictures are great if your the first one to question them.... Here are a few examples I've found stating this fact:

6. Never Stop Shooting

Shoot whenever, and where ever. The second you stop shooting, is the second your “photographic brain” starts slowly disappearing and getting lazy. You start losing your creative energy, and second guessing yourself, then you begin to thinki maybe you’re not good enough, etc. If you keep on shooting, you don’t have the chance to fall into that hole. Once you’re there, it’s hard to dig yourself out! Shoot, shoot, shoot!



Read more: http://digital-photography-school.com/7-tips-from-professional-fashion-photographer-adriana-curcio#ixzz0kUE1NTB0

7. Confidence

You have to believe in yourself, and your work! The best way to learn is to completely throw yourself into it. You can’t be afraid to screw up! The reality of the situation is that inevitably, you will screw up! But it’s ok, it’s actually wonderful because it’s how you learn. Every time I make a mistake on set, I learn, and know better for next time. My first shoot with clients, I almost walked off set because I didn’t trust myself, and I was so scared of making a mistake, and embarrassing myself. I sat there running through all the possible disasters that could occur, then I shut it all out because I knew if I didn’t shoot then, I never would! The images from that shoot are some of my favorite images to date!



Read more: http://digital-photography-school.com/7-tips-from-professional-fashion-photographer-adriana-curcio#ixzz0kUECAHXC


(In an email from Dave, I read this amazingly helpful blog on wedding photography... it's full of other amazing tips, but this one goes with the theme. :) Check it out! )

4) You Need to Have a Bit of An Ego.
With emphasis on the "bit" part. For anyone who owns her own photography studio a healthy ego is a must, but to paraphrase Colin Powell, "...a balanced ego must be combined with intelligence, judgment, a capacity to anticipate, to see around corners and a high-energy drive to get things done."

Your ego is your best friend and your worst enemy. It enables you to produce great, not just good work for your clients. It pushes you to take risks and will fill your tank. However, your ego is not you. This idea was reintroduced by Michael Singer in his book, "The Untethered Soul: The Journey beyond yourself." According to Singer, your ego is more like a roommate inside your head and you need to carefully consider what it's saying and why it's talking.

David Foster, a music producer with 15 Grammys on his mantle, absolutely appreciates his ego and understands when it attempts to impede his success. Foster, known as the "hitman" for many pop singers including Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Josh Grobin and Michael Buble, is consistently bashed in Rolling Stone Magazine for his syrupy sweet, and romantic love songs. In the past, Foster's ego routinely complained about the critics, since after all, Foster's talents could enable him to produce deeper, more nuanced music if he were so inclined; but after tasting the sweet nectar from Foster's success, his ego learned to ignore the detractors

WAIT!!! I AM NOT SAYING YOU HAVE TO SELLOUT YOUR CREATIVE SOUL TO MAKE A BUCK. I'm just urging you to understand and appreciate the benefits and liabilities of your ego. It can be good to you at times. Like when it sits on your shoulder during a sales meeting and forces you to stop talking once you review pricing instead of letting you over explain why you are worth such a hefty price. Your ego boosts your confidence and nudges you not to give up on pursuing a long-shot assignment. It provides the armor you need on days when you don't have the fight within yourself.

That same ego, however, can turn on you and give you an inflated feeling of self-importance. Your ego, for instance, may override your judgment and persuade you to sever ties with a long-time vendor, one who has been loyal and supportive, simply because the vendor injured the ego. Or maybe your ego convinces you to mortgage your home in order to rent studio space in the hippest part of town. I'm just saying to consider the advice of your ego as you would anyone you consult about your business. Listen by all means, but let you're actualized self make the final judgement.

Once, my ego convinced me to, on a whim, drive to the local camera store and drop $5,000 on the newest digital SLR. My ego had grown tired of wedding guests approaching me and telling me that while I had a nice camera, theirs was much nicer. All that being said, my ego and my "real" self delighted in knowing that most of those financially-endowed guests left those fancy cameras on the "P" setting because they thought it was the "Professional" mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment