Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Flashes! Flashes! Flashes!

Okay! So I found this article immensely helpful! I'm going to have to re-read it about a dozen times to get my mind to completely focus and suck in all it's saying, but I did find it very informative.

I really don't know a whole lot about off camera flash and techniques... I've survived with my on camera flash for what I've been doing thus far. However! I am excited about the possibilities that investing in another flash and using off-camera flash will do for the weddings I shoot.

This article gives the basics. You need a "master" and "slave" system to get the flashes to communicate with each other. The master needs to be attached to the camera body and the slave is communicated to by the master. My 430 EX II won't work as the master (as Dave has mentioned to me many times before) so I will be investing in the 580 EX II. :)

Using pocketwizards enables your ability to use two off camera flashes while communicating through the pocketwizard that is attached to the camera body.. we've played a lot with this in previous classes with Dave.

At the bottom of the article details some examples of how to set up your flashes to get certain lighting on your subjects. That was interesting and helpful and it really gets me excited to try it out in the field.

The article talks a lot about the distances and how far the master can be away from the off camera flashes... That's still over my head. I'm a person who really needs to have my "hands on" learning about that kind of stuff to completely get it. I see numbers, relate it to math, and my mind completely shuts down.. :) so I'm hoping to mess with that and learn through experimenting.

Just read the article. It's helpful, immensely.

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2966&productID=189&articleTypeID=5

No comments:

Post a Comment